– Jones confirmed the following players are out for spring due to injury: Derek Barnett, Jason Croom, Alex Ellis, Marcus Jackson, Jakob Johnson, Darrin Kirkland Jr., Curt Maggitt, Danny O’Brien and Kyle Phillips
– Marquez North and Dillon Bates will participate to some extent coming off surgeries and Butch said they both are “continuing to progress.” Offensive lineman Chance Hall will have “limited reps” and Jalen Hurd will be “non-contact”
– “Earn the jersey” will be somewhat of a spring mantra this year as Jones said they will continuously evaluate players after every practice. Defensively, “ball disruptions” will be a point of emphasis, while explosive plays will be emphasized on offense.
– Jones said he wants Joshua Dobbs to be a “CEO quarterback” in terms of managing the team. Said DeBord has worked with his throwing mechanics some and Dobbs has worked tirelessly this offseason to improve in that area as well. Jones also said Dobbs needs to take the next step as a runner as well and that DeBord’s advise to him is “touchdown, first down or get down.”
– The team made a lot of progress in the weight room this offseason, and Jones said that was one of the big reasons they waited later to start spring practice this year. Jones said 75% of the players had a personal record in the weight room this offseason with defensive tackle Kendal Vickers leading the way on the squat (710 pounds) and Jashon Robertson leading the way at bench press with 33 reps of 225 pounds.
– Dillon Bates will work at ILB and OLB. He’s at about 230 pounds now, Jones wouldn’t mind seeing him closer to 240 if he’s going to play inside. Dimarya Mixon will play DE (played DT some last year) and Vickers will focus at DT. Coleman Thomas will work at both offensive tackle and center, but Jones said he expects him to get a lot of work at center and to push Mack Crowder. Chance Hall and Jack Jones will work primarily at offensive tackle.
– Jones spoke at length about the adjustments they’ll have to make with all the players out or limited due to injuries this spring. He said some of it will be shortening practice at times, being smart about the drills they do and get injured players more mental reps and time in the weight room.
– Jones said there are “no new developments” on the Treyvon Paulk situation
– He also said that Jauan Jennings is a bit behind Quinten Dormady at this point in terms of quarterback intangibles