Green team: RB Alvin Kamara, RB Jalen Hurd and CB Cam Sutton were among the players in green, non-contact uniforms. All appear to be precautionary moves after that trio also wore non-contact uniforms last week.
The official injury report from Butch Jones on Monday:
- OL Dylan Wiesman will be available for practice this week
- DE Kyle Phillips (shoulder) out this week
- WR Pig Howard still hasn’t passed concussion tests
- “Fully anticipates” WR Marquez North to play
Receiver/quarterback work: All eyes continue to be on these units as the Vols try to improve upon a downfield passing attack that is still clearly a work in progress. Quarterback Joshua Dobbs completed 20-of-36 passes for 232 yards and no TDs or INTs against an Arkansas team that came into that game ranked last in the SEC in passing defense.
The Vols are currently 11th in the SEC in total passing with 192.8 yards per game.
Jauan Jennings, Josh Smith, Johnathon Johnson, Josh Malone, Cody Blanc, Marquez North, Von Pearson and Preston Williams were the receivers going through drills on Tuesday. There’s still some inconsistency in the passing game that is showing up in practice – receivers not running the exact route coaches are looking for, quarterbacks throwing it a bit in front of or behind receivers and just a little bit of overall shakiness in this area.
Butch Jones continues to work closely with the receivers, alongside receivers coach/passing game coordinator Zach Azzanni and de facto quarterbacks coach Nick Sheridan.
Quiet Butch: Maybe it’s a different philosophy, a way to keep focus all over the field or perhaps he just didn’t have it for some reason on Tuesday, but Butch Jones was without his microphone during the open practice – making for a much quieter atmosphere on the practice field than what we’re used to experiencing.
Punt team: Trevor Daniel continues to show his consistency in punting both in practices and in games. He hit another absolute rocket on Tuesday night. Tommy Townsend seems to be progressing as well, however, as he had a punt with great hang time.
• Defensive coordinator John Jancek said Saturday’s game against Arkansas was the worst tackling he’s seen since his first year in Knoxville (2013).
• Defensive line coach Steve Stripling said he likes the development of Kahlil McKenzie and Shy Tuttle and likes playing them together because they have a chance to be one of the best duos in the nation.
• Receivers coach Zach Azzanni said he knows the receivers are frustrated about not getting a ton of catches, but he’s ok with them wanting the ball.
• Azzanni was also asked if he’d ever seen any inappropriate contact or behavior from Butch Jones. He responded, “Never, never.”
The media will meet with assistants Zach Azzanni, Steve Stripling, Mike DeBord and John Jancek following practice shortly. More updates to come then