Tennessee men’s basketball extends shutdown

    by -

    Photo by Caitlyn Jordan/RTI

    The Tennessee men’s basketball program has extended its pause on team activities, wiping out a pair of marquee matchups in the process.

    Monday’s COVID-19 test results have forced the Vols to extend their shutdown until Dec. 5. They will not travel to Indianapolis for the Jimmy V Classic next week, where they were scheduled to play No. 1 Gonzaga.

    “Barring additional setbacks, the program aims to return to action on Saturday, Dec. 5,” Tennessee’s Tuesday press release said. “With its first game currently set for Dec. 12 against Cincinnati at Thompson-Boling Arena.”

    Tennessee’s game against Notre Dame on Dec. 4 has also been canceled. The game had not officially been announced due to the contract not being finalized, but it had been reported.

    Head coach Rick Barnes was among those in the program who tested positive for COVID-19.

    “Barnes, who has been diagnosed with the virus and is in isolation at his home, is experiencing very mild symptoms but is generally feeling well,” the press release said.

    Tennessee paused team activities on Monday after several positive tests. Later in the day, the school announced its multi-team event, the Volunteer Classic, had been canceled. The Vols were originally scheduled to face Charlotte on Wednesday and VCU on Friday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

    VCU and Charlotte agreed to cancel their game as well.