Talking Michigan’s Matchup With Georgia
Tennessee will take on Purdue in the Music City Bowl at the end of the month. And make no mistake about it, Purdue is a very impressive football team. The Boilermakers have a final record of 8-4 at the end of the season, including two extremely impressive wins. That’s right, Purdue has two wins against teams that we’re ranked in the Top 3 at the time of said games.
The Vols will have their hands full against a solidly built Purdue team that has shown their ability to win at home and on the road. The Boilermakers knocked off No. 2 Iowa on the road in October, followed by a win at home against No. 3 Michigan State in November.
Purdue’s schedule is listed below and is followed by their season-ending statistical placement.
- Week 1 – Oregon State @ Purdue – WIN – 30-21
- Week 2 – Purdue @ Connecticut – WIN – 49-0
- Week 3 – Purdue @ No. 12 Notre Dame – LOSS – 27-13
- Similar to Tennessee’s game against Alabama, Purdue gave Notre Dame a run for their money in a hostile environment through three quarters. Purdue trailed Notre Dame by only four points, 17-13, heading into the fourth quarter. However, the Fighting Irish took advantage in the game’s final frame, putting up 10 points on Purdue to close out the game.
- Week 4 – Illinois @ Purdue – WIN – 13-9
After an expected 3-1 start to the year in the month of September, Purdue had quite the up and down October. The Boilermakers did beat a team ranked in the Top 3, but it was sandwiched in between two unranked losses.
- Week 5 – Minnesota @ Purdue – LOSS – 20-13
- Week 6 – BYE
- Week 7 – Purdue @ No. 2 Iowa – WIN – 24-7
- Maybe it was retribution for the loss in their previous game, or maybe the extra week of preparation helped Purdue locate the cracks in Iowa’s armor. One way or another, Purdue was dominant in the game as they never trailed the second-ranked team in all four quarters.
- Week 8 – Wisconsin @ Purdue – LOSS – 30-13
- In the Minnesota and Wisconsin losses, Purdue was unable to put up a single point in the second half of both games.
- Week 9 – Purdue @ Nebraska – WIN – 28-23
- Purdue’s defense had four total interceptions off of former Tennessee commit Adrian Martinez in the game.
- Week 10 – No. 3 Michigan State @ Purdue – WIN – 40-29
- Purdue’s second marquee win of the season came against another Big 10 foe. Purdue’s quarterback, Aiden O’Connell, threw for a whopping 536 yards against the Spartans. Although they were tied at seven in the first quarter, Purdue never trailed the Spartans, which led to a commanding win at home.
- Week 11 – Purdue @ No. 4 Ohio State – LOSS – 59-31
- Week 12 – Northwestern @ Purdue – WIN – 32-14
- Week 13 – Indiana @ Purdue – WIN – 44-7
Final Record: 8-4 overall, 6-3 conference
- Tennessee: 459 yards per game
- Purdue: 424 yards per game
- Purdue: 340.5 yards per game
- Tennessee: 247 yards per game
- Tennessee: 212 yards per game
- Purdue: 83.5 yards per game
Points Per Game:
- Tennessee: 38.8 PPG
- Purdue: 27.5 PPG
- Purdue: 20.5 PPG
- Tennessee: 27.5 PPG
- Purdue: 341.6 yards per game
- Tennessee: 404 yards per game