Wander into Lindsey Nelson Stadium this fall and you might see baseball taking place in the middle of a construction zone. On rare occasions, you would have found players holding fences up so they wouldn’t fall on the playing field during scrimmages.
The Lindsey Nelson Stadium construction is well underway but there’s plenty of more construction coming as the Vols’ convert their baseball stadium from one of the SEC’s worst to one that holds its own against the baseball fortresses of the Southeastern Conference.
Tennessee released the official time frame for the stadium upgrades they announced over the summer on Friday afternoon. The release includes details about what will change at Lindsey Nelson Stadium before the upcoming 2024 season and the vast upgrades and additions coming before the 2025 season.
By the 2025 season, capacity at Lindsey Nelson Stadium plans on being 7,750 but as the construction project wraps up the plan is for capacity to be over 8,000.
Take a look at the renovation timeline here.
More From RTI: Everything Tony Vitello Said To Close Fall Practice
Renovations before 2024 season
- Over 900 new permanent seats down the left field line to replace the 546 temporary seats in bleachers from the last two years.
- 35+ new tables connecting the 900 new permanent seats and the left field porches.
- 120+ new premium seats down first base line.
- 130+ new premium seats down third base line.
- Temporary concessions in bathrooms in new expanded areas.
- Construction is expected to continue throughout the course of the 2024 season.
Renovations before the 2025 season
- New updated entry way at the front of stadium (Pat Head Summitt Dr.)
- New entrance down the left field line (corner of Pat Head Summitt Dr. and Todd Helton Dr.)
- New student entrance down first base line.
- New permanent concession stands and bathrooms.
- Tiered standing room only seats down the right field line with views into Tennessee bullpen.
- More standing room only seats around concourse.
- New mezzanine level with new press box.
- Standing room only seating on both sides of press box with specific concession stands and bathrooms.
- New club seating above the press box.
- Suites include indoors and outside seating.
- An expanded MVP Room with an added kitchen.
- Concourse from the left field porches to right field student area.