Names that have been mentioned in other reports or that we’ve been asked about:
• G.A. Mangus (South Carolina QBs/TEs coach): The long-time SC assistant has done a great job under Steve Spurrier, is a good recruiter and thought to be ready to take the next step to OC. A 2010 arrest could be a negative mark against him.
• Billy Napier (Alabama WRs coach): The former Clemson coordinator has some NFL experience, SEC ties, play-calling ability and could be a potential fit.
• Noel Mazzone (UCLA OC): Mazzone knows the spread offense as well as anybody and has made stops as an OC at Auburn, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Arizona State and NC State. He also spent some times with the NY Jets as a wide receivers coach.
• Clay Helton (USC OC/QBs coach): The Trojans’ OC was an interim head coach at the end of the 2013 season after both Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron moved on from the program. Led a top-25 offense at USC in 2014.
• Kurt Roper (former Duke/Florida OC): The former Tennessee assistant in the Fulmer era went on to have a great stretch as the OC under David Cutcliffe at Duke. He took the Florida OC job in 2014, but as had been the case for much of the Will Muschamp era, the offense sputtered, and the Gators fired Muschamp after the season, leaving Roper unemployed for now.
• Bill Legg (Marshall OC/QBs coach): Legg led one of the most explosive offenses in the nation at Marshall in 2014 and has experience at multiple stops as a coordinator and position coach, including Purdue, West Virginia and Florida International.